Vonitsa is a town of Aitoloakarnania. It is the seat of the Municipality of Aktio - Vonitsa, while it was the seat of the former Kapodistrian Municipality of Anaktrion. Vonitsa is a coastal town, built on the south side of the Amvrakikos Gulf. The modern city is built very close to the ancient Anaktorio, which is why the former name of the municipality, whose seat is Vonitsa, was called the Municipality of Anaktori. The ancient Anaktorio was an important city of Akarnania and was founded by the Corinthians in 630 BC. Like most Acarnania cities, it collapsed when the Romans founded Nicopolis on the opposite side of Amvrakikos and forced the locals to move there. Over time, in the Byzantine years the city flourished again, with the name Vonitsa this time and at the exact point where it is today. During the Ottoman domination the city passed for a long time under the control of the Venetians, namely from 1684 to 1797. In 1832 it was part of the new Greek state. Only a few kilometers east of today's Vonitsa, namely the "Ai-Lia" hill, the ancient city ruins, probably identified with Iraklia, mentioned by Pliny (NH, IV, 4-5) a coastal zone between Anaktrio and Echino (from other researchers Heraclea is identified with the ancient ruins of Rouga Palibello). During the imperial period, with the founding of Nicopolis, it seems that a part of the inhabitants of Iraklia participated in its "settlement", while the rest moved to the sea and founded a new settlement on the hill of the "Savior" at the northeastern end of the Vonitsa bay, where remains of a Roman settlement were found.
Enjoy our high level transfer services to/from Vonitsa and all over Greece and we promise you the best transfer prices without waiting at airport, port, station and without hidden debits.
To contact us or to send us a message please click here